If you’ve been close to the camming industry, you may have heard the term “Gamefication” come up here and there. But what is it? And how can cam games help you make money from home?
Put simply, gamification borrows the mechanics of a game and puts it into a non-gaming environment. It locks on to the part of a game that makes them addictive and fun and applies it in a new circumstance. So how can your chatroom be gamified? The answer is not necessarily in the specific games you play in chat, but in the rewards for participating.
First, playing games in and of itself can increase your audience’s engagement. They can bring chat rooms to life as people feel the urge to participate, and the spirit of competition sets in. For a long time, camgirls and camguys have found that playing games is a fun and profitable way to make money on cam.
Here is a great list of cam games that translate well into live-cam shows. http://www.howareyoubb.com/2016/05/23/games-play-fans-cam/
Many of the cam games on this list are tried and tested when it comes to helping cam models make extra money from the comfort of home. But how can you bring the “gamefication” of your show to the next level? Well, you can add some of the key elements used in video games that help players stay engaged. The game itself is not the entirety of what makes customers want to play. The sense of progress and reward are equally important, and can elevate your cam show games to add replay value … or in the case of a cam show, could inspire your players to want to come back and play again, or keep playing for extended periods of time. Make sure you first understand all the types of shows here.
- Have clear instructions and keep it simple! Being online as a camgirl or camguy is a visual medium. You must keep your cam games fairly simple to make sure the games translate easily. There won’t be an instruction manual available, especially for fans who come in after the game is already in progress.
- Progress Bars: according to articles on gaming psychology, players stick to a game when they’re close to “leveling up” or unlocking some new perk or achievement. Adding a visual aid to a show that you will, for example, take your bra off when you earn 200 credits in tips, will inspire your fans both to contribute, and to stick around to see that goal achieved. In their tip-driven “party chat” show type, Flirt4Free allows their models to have just such a visual aid on screen. The party meter fills up as customers tip, with several goal-markers along the way. Having these goals visible throughout the show can be really beneficial.
- Demonstrating a journey: while throwing in some unsuspecting surprises throughout your show will definitely thrill your “players”, you should offer them a challenge and a clear goal to achieve. Show your audience the steps they must take to create the “story” they’ve come to see, ie: a steamy live cam show as the big prize.
- Rewards big and small: As with the earlier tip-based party chat example, you can encourage continued play by “unlocking new features”, but you can also recognize greatness in your cam games (ie big tips) with special rewards, like a free pass to recorded content or free private minutes to your biggest in-game tipper. Or even fan club membership. Be sure to reward “good tipping” behavior.
- Leaderboards: What’s the point of winning a game if you can’t show off your victory? Think about maintaining a leaderboard on your cam-site or your personal website honoring your most generous fans. Not only will it inspire friendly competition between your customers, but it’s a great way to show them you appreciate their support!
So, the next time you introduce a raffle, sexy dice, or a wheel of fortune into a cam show, try adding multiple levels of rewards and visual aids into your performance and be sure to show customers who is in the lead, and what they stand to win for playing.
You may be playing longer, more lucrative cam games in no time.
The road to being a successful cam model depends upon your talent, your look, communication skills, and creativity, but it begins and ends with your customers. Keeping customers in your chatroom, or bringing them back for a repeat performance is not always easy. While nothing will work 100% of the time, there are simple things you can do to increase customer engagement and retention, and help you become a successful cam model.
If you’ve spent time as a cam model, there are obvious things that draw customers in. Other advice columns will tell you to be sexy, to be alluring, to be the customer’s fantasy. All true, but not necessarily advice you can put into practical use to become a successful cam model. But what we can do is offer practical techniques to help you separate yourself from the other models your customer’s visit.
Since your chatroom is probably a mixture of old and new customers, keep things fresh in any way you can.
Cam Model Engagement
- Have interesting things to talk about. To keep an audience engaged, you should set the topic. Steer conversation toward something that interests you, or that you can discuss at length. Leaving it to customers to open conversation has the potential to create a lot of dead air, permeated by occasional “show me your ass”-type requests.
- Look your best! This seems obvious. While successful cam models relate to their customers on levels beyond physical, a variety of outfits to keep your customers intrigued and guessing will keep their visits from feeling redundant. Varying your location can also be a fun change to introduce.
- Successful cam models focus on active engagement. Games, giveaways, costumes, and toys can turn your chatroom into a more interactive experience. The more passive your customer’s experience, the less likely they are to remain engaged. Don’t stare into the cam and wait. Get creative and keep the energy in your room high.
- Have a plan for outreach! What is outreach? It’s when successful cam models literally “reach out” to their regular customers between chatroom visits or paid shows. There are a myriad of ways to do this, but note that personalized customer outreach has a much higher conversion rate than something like a mass email. In truth, it’s good to pepper in a little of everything.
- Use mass emails to all customers announcing a scheduled performance or appearance.
- Try personalized messages to a customer after a private show, thanking them for the experience.
- Re-engage customers you haven’t seen in a while. Use your notes to recall a past moment together.
- While most sites have free messaging between models and customers, you can also open the lines of communication with customers even further through services like a SMS tool such as “FlirtSMS” from Flirt4Free.com or “Flirt Phone” when you are not online.
- The best personalized responses make your customers feel desired and memorable. Make sure to take notes on your customer’s likes and dislikes during conversations and performances. A reference to a sexy memory you’ve made together will make them feel special.
If your goal is to be the most successful cam model you can be, you can maximize your potential by integrating these customer engagement and retention strategies. Become special to your customers by offering a superior product that becomes a necessity in their lives.
Need more tips on how to be a successful cam model?
We’ve seen it many times in webcamming: a gorgeous cam guy outperformed by a less attractive model who knows how to build strong personal connections with their viewers.
There’s an expression in the industry that addresses this: Your look attracts. Your personality brings them back.
The ability to build and maintain strong connections with customers is what sets middling cam models apart from those who rise to stardom, like Jakub Stefano or Izzi. So how do you use your personality to turn a new chatroom visitor into someone who will support your webcamming career for years to come?
Here are some strategies you can put into play immediately. Consider these tools to help you “tune up” your webcamming persona. Ready?
Webcamming with your customers:
Just Ask Questions. Start your relationship with new webcamming customers the same way you’d start a relationship with someone in your personal life. Ask them questions that help you get to know them.
When you go out with someone for the first time, and all they do is talk about themselves, are you likely to ask for a second date? Probably not. Well, the same thing applies to your first-time viewers. Ask questions to show them you’re interested in getting to know them on a deeper level. Not only will it make them feel special, but it also reveals valuable information you can use to turn up the heat in their private shows.
Once you’ve asked questions, follow them up with more questions! Remember, you’re not just trying to make a customer think you’re interested, you’re trying to build a connection that will result in repeat visits and paid webcamming shows. Conversation is the foundation of any strong relationship.
Use Your Voice. Be Vocal. Most customers who watch your webcamming stream will find talking (as opposed to typing) in your open room much more enjoyable and intimate. This helps in free chat because it shows new customers you’re physically engaged with your viewers. And in private, when paying for your time, typing responses takes longer, and can be an obstacle when you’re trying to turn up the heat.
Don’t jump to the naughty bits! When a private show begins, don’t jump immediately into your striptease or stroke show. Ask them about their day (yes, more questions are good). Share something about yourself. Make them feel welcome and let them know you’re excited to be with them. Make them feel comfortable and special, and they’re sure to seek you out for a repeat webcamming experience.
Be Postive! It may sound corny, but don’t underestimate the power of positivity. Customers turn to cam guys and camgirls seeking companionship, fantasy, connection, and an escape from the stress of their day-to-day lives. Smile. Be complimentary and appreciative. Your good attitude lets customers know they’ve come to the right place—a place that’s better than their stressful reality.
Take Notes! Notes are a cam model’s best friend. Take notes on specific customers while they’re in your chatroom or after a show. You can use them to double-down on the particulars of a certain user. Remembering the fine details of your time together is a smart way to show customers you value them. They want to feel special in your eyes, and recalling details of their previous visit can do this for them. Your shared experience was as memorable for you as it was for them! This level of dedication will distinguish you from the majority of models currently webcamming.
Say Thanks! Show appreciation. Make sure your customer knows how grateful you are for every tip, large or small. Honestly, none of us really know if a customer is wealthy or on a tight budget. The amount they spend in your room could mean more to them than the amount implies. Let them know you appreciate their support. You are making a difference in a person’s life. Saying thank you or shouting out their screen name when they tip is a great way to make them feel connected and special.
Pro-tip: Coming up with a personalized flirty nickname for a customer is another tried-and-true way to make your interactions more memorable. Make them feel like the apple of your eye, even in a small way, could pay huge dividends in later webcamming performances.
Not every webcam model is a social dynamo. In fact, many get into webcamming because there’s less pressure in forming relationships online than there is in real life. And while it’s natural to feel shy and intimidated in your early camming sessions, remember: you are the star of your chatroom. These customers clicked on you, hoping you’re the right model for them. If you struggle with engaging your users, follow these simple tips and you may establish longer and more lucrative connections while webcamming.
Want more help? Check out some of these great blog articles:
Lights? Check! Camera? Check! An inviting room, a hot profile pic, and an outfit that teases? Check, check, and check! All the prep work has been done, and now you’re ready to begin your first broadcast to become a camgirl!
New Camgirl Anxiety?
You may feel some anxiety as you’re about to click your way into camming. Don’t worry! That’s perfectly natural. Modeling puts you in the spotlight, and can leave you open to criticism and rejection. Every top camgirl has reckoned with these fears early in their careers. One helpful tip is to remind yourself that your vital, real-life information is confidential, and that confidentiality can be very freeing. Most camgirls think of their chatrooms as places where they can explore their sexuality without judgement. Remember, you can control the environment. Your job is to entertain, and if a random visitor is deliberately trying to disrupt your performance, most major cam sites give you the option to block them.
Never Take Camming Personally
As adult star Katharine Cane said in her Guide to Camming interview: “never take things personally.” If people come into your room and are mean or disruptive, it’s not about you. Some people just want to get a reaction, and would probably behave the same way no matter whose room they were in.
Okay, enough about the potential negatives. Let’s move on to the good stuff. The show must go on!
Once they begin their camgirl lives, nearly every model says that performing has boosted their confidence drastically. Stick with it and you’ll look back at the last few minutes before your first cam show and laugh.
So you’re in. You’ve gone live and crossed into an exciting new world where the world can come to know and love you on cam. The tips are already pouring in, right? Well, probably not. Your mission in every broadcast is to tempt viewers to send tips or, better yet, take you into a private paid show. More than any other form of adult entertainment, camming is an interactive, relationship-based experience involving real people. For this reason, overnight success is very rare. Chances are, you’ll snag a few tips, but won’t have your first private show until your third or fourth broadcast. Don’t worry. Keep camming at consistent times over the next few days and potential fans will start to realize you’ll here to stay, and connections will form.
New Camgirl Tips and Ideas:
- Beware the Stare: Be active, and try to maintain a pleasant, positive demeanor. Looking bored as you stare at your screen waiting for tips will drive potential fans toward other models very quickly. If you need location ideas read this article.
- Set tip goals for your viewers: even making a simple game of taking off your clothes can keep a paying user in your room. Something as basic as a tip countdown (100 credits for top off, 300 for bra … etc), can be very effective. As you gain experience, more elaborate games like in-room raffles and wheels of fortune can turn your broadcasts into fun games that keep them coming back
- Never ask for tips outright. Camgirls are creating a fantasy of an intimate and sexy friendship. Customers who view you as a “money-first-model” may not be willing to put in the time to get to know you.
- Do your homework! Review your site’s training materials, pay attention to the themed promo contests and incorporate them into your show. Having a plan when you log in will make you more comfortable during your early shows and let customers know you know what you’re doing.
- Get to know your viewers. Ask questions and take note of their interests. Conversation is the best way to get to know someone. Finding a common connection will keep the conversation going and bring them back for more.
After you log off for the day, take a moment to review. What worked for you? What wasn’t working? What brought the tips, and what were you doing in slow time? How can you improve your cam performance as a whole? Stick with it, and with every show you’re sure to see a marked improvement in both your confidence and your camming results.
If you haven’t signed up yet, visit Webcam4Money.com
The Edge is a dual-motor prostate massager from Lovense, the makers of the Lush and the Domi, two of the most popular sex toys seen on cam sites. It’s made of smooth, body safe silicon, and is waterproof (rather than water-resistant). It can be used for manual play, remotely through the Lovense Edge App, and on cam as tip-responsive.
From a design perspective, the Edge is revolutionary among prostate massagers. It is wishbone shaped and each arm is individually motorized. The thicker stem stimulates the perineum while the thinner stem is inserted to vibrate against the prostate. Where the edge really shines from this perspective is that the width between each vibrating stem is adjustable, which makes it more comfortable for a male webcam model to wear for prolonged sessions, and more accurate when aiming for the “sweet spot”. Be forewarned, though: if you’re new to anal play, the Edge’s prostate arm is on the thick side.
Like other Lovense toys, the Edge is in the upper tiers in the power department. Its lowest setting packs a punch, and medium and high ratchet up the intensity considerably. In manual mode, there are 3 power levels and 4 preset vibration patters that pulse and wave pleasantly. But while the Domi (which you can read about here) might be “too powerful” for some, each power level on the edge is reasonable, depending on your sensitivity. At its highest setting, the sensations are deep and rumbly.
Lovense toys are among the easiest to operate, technologically speaking. Just like the Domi, once you install the app on your smartphone or tablet, it automatically detects the toy, and is connected with a single tap. However, in the case of the edge, connectivity issues seem to be a bit more common of a complaint.
In the chatroom, the edge is ideally suited to tip-responsive anal play for a male webcam model. The length and power of the toy’s response correlates well with the size of the tip you receive. The adjustable nature of the toy ensures that your customers will see genuine reactions that are significantly more intense when they’re more generous. However, though the motors are quite strong, the Edge is relatively quiet, and it has no LED light to give your fans a visual indicator that it’s working.
Lovense Edge Cons:
The Edge wins points for power, comfort, ease of use, and design. It’s most glaring drawbacks are:
- Minor connectivity issues
- Prostate arm might be too thick for newbies
- No visual indicator for viewers
This powerful, well-designed and comfortable interactive prostate massager should check all the right boxes for a male webcam model and his fans. The adjustable motorized arms feel amazing internally and externally, and should inspire your customers to go for bigger tips and longer, more blissful reactions. Connectivity problems are infrequent but still worth mentioning, and if you’ve never used an anal toy before, you should expect a slight adjustment period. However, by and large, the Lovense Edge is an exceptional offering for any male webcam model who wants to bring more interactivity into his cam shows.
Learn more at the Lovense Edge Website