Knowing when to take advantage of the different paid show types a site offers is vital to making money on cam as a model. Private pay-per-minute shows can be very profitable, but is there ever a time when you should not go into a private show?
Read Your Room
The answer lies in your room’s current makeup. Are you busy or slow? Are your regulars online? Are there multiple users already engaged, having fun and tipping? Reading a room is an important skill for all kinds of live entertainers. For a cam model, knowing your audience can help you choose the type of show that will help you make more money on cam!
The Public Chat Numbers Game
Doing a little math will help you profit in the long run. The average private cam show lasts 5 minutes. If you do a 5 minute private for 60 credits per minute, you’ve made 300 credits. But what happens to the 20 active customers who may have tipped you 10 credits each in that same span of time? Chances are, when you left open chat, they found their way into another model’s chatroom. You made 300 credits for your private show, but left 200 on the table and have now come back to an empty room. How can you make more money on cam in this situation?
Who Wants to go Private?
Is it a regular customer or someone new? If they have a history of taking you into long private shows, chances are, this is the most profitable option. You’ll make money for this private and maintain the relationship for future privates. If it’s a customer you don’t know, you may be in for an average-length show (5 minutes). Keep a record of your regular customers and their habits so you know what you may be in for.
Helpful Links for Improving Your Private Show Game and Making More Money On Cam:
Allowing voyeurs in your private shows is a great way to make other customers stick around while you’re in private. For a fraction of the cost, they can watch your steamy private action, and you make extra money on cam for the same performance. Just keep in mind that the customer taking you private must approve of it.
Multi-User Shows or Tip-based Shows
If you get a private request and your room is already active, engaged, and tipping, then you have a decision to make. Make sure you’re familiar with all the show types your site offers. You may want to offer a multi-user show or a tips-only show instead. On a site like Flirt4Free, customers can choose semi-private shows at a reduced rate. If your private show rate is 60 credits per minute, and your multi-user rate is 30, you only need 3 viewers to enter the multi-user show to make more money on cam!
Go With Your Strengths
While you consider your show options, it’s important to note which show type you’re most comfortable with. If you shine in one-on-one sessions, or have trouble balancing requests in a group show, then your decision is easier. Offering a customer your best performance in whatever show-type has the best chance of turning them into regulars. And having a solid list of regulars is always the best way to make money on cam.
Learn to make money on cam as you begin your journey online, your choice of broadcasting platform can have a great deal of influence on the trajectory of your career. It’s not that one cam site is better than another. But the truth is, one site might work better for you than another. We recommend a trial and error process. As you discover your strengths and weaknesses as a performer, you’ll soon lean what format will best compliment your style to help you.
What’s a Freemium site?:
Freemium sites have a lot of models all vying for the attention of customers who may or may not pay. Rather than long-term regular relationships, the models who excel to make money on cam are creative exhibitionists, with a knack grabbing attention in a saturated space. Most of the Freemium sites offer a higher commission percentage than a premium site, but the trade-off is that the models are on their own to market themselves, and find ways of gaining the attention of potential fans while trying to make money on cam.
If you’re more of a communicator, adept at exploring fantasies with your viewers and building relationships that simmer over time, then you may struggle to make ends meet in an overcrowded freemium environment. But the good news is, there are other platforms out there that are perfect for your particular brand of virtual intimacy. One premium site that has emphasized the profitability of long-term, well-maintained model/fan relationships is Flirt4Free. They are a premium site, which means that, while they may not boast the same traffic as their Freemium counterparts, a higher percentage of their base consists of paying customers interested in getting to know you, and who regularly take their favorite performers into pay per minute one-on-one shows.
In the last 20 years, they have received a myriad of industry awards, praising their individual performers, as well as the support and training they offer all of their models. Rather than ask the company directly about the secret to their two decades of success, we reached out to several Flirt stars to ask about how they make money on cam with the network.
Thoughts from Flirt4Free.com Cam Models:
Angel Dee: “I was on another site for 10 years before switching to Flirt4Free. I couldn’t be happier. It’s a great site, with wonderful members and an unbelievable support staff who helped me achieve my goals in a very short amount of time. I can honestly say I’m here to stay.”
Patricia I: “I worked on other sites, but soon realized that F4F had the kindest, smartest customers. They make the experience of being online so pleasant, and are really interested in me as a person. Flirt is definitely a place where having that connection between people is really important, and I love that.”
Selma Wood: “I remember my first login like it was yesterday. I was very scared. But my first day was fantastic! An Australian man took me into a 45 minute private show! It was so sexy and sensual. I’ll never forget it! Now, as soon as I wake up in the morning, the only thing I can think about is getting online with F4F. The staff answers all my questions and has helped me every step of the way. And I never knew I could become so attached to so many people! I love my regulars. They’re my sweethearts!”
Male cam models:
Jones Ryan: “Without a doubt, my experience with Flirt4Free has been amazing! They do all they can to enrich my knowledge of the camming medium and have really helped me grow professionally!”
Richie Rose: “I came back to Flirt4Free after a 2-year break, and it has completely changed my quality of life! My schedule it totally flexible! I’ve been able to go back to school full-time, spend more time on my art, all while making genuine connections and friendships with Flirt members, as well as a ton of sexy memories!”
At Male Modeling Online you can sign up to become a gay or straight cam guy. Once you complete the process, you will see the support staff are dedicated to helping their models to be as profitable as possible while still offering the same freedoms and bfound elsewhere.
Want to make money on cam?
If you’d like to explore the world of premium cam modeling, performers can apply here. To hear more from an experienced Flirt4Free model, check out our exclusive interview with the amazing Katharine Cane.
When it comes to webcam jobs time management, there are essentially two basic situations a cam model can face. The first is the model who supplements their day job and family life with the additional income of a camming nightlife. The second is the full-time model, who has the freedom to broadcast whenever it’s best for them.
Both scenarios require discipline to maintain. The moonlighting models are subject to instances of real-life interfering with their camming time. They must keep a tight schedule and may often feel pressed. While the full-time model may have it easier (and in many ways, they do), this freedom demands a skilled hand at time management.
Here are some quick tips to help you manage your day to day in either scenario.
Webcam Jobs moonlighter:
- Create an Excel spreadsheet or chart schedule, blocking out your concrete time commitments. Once done, find as many 2-hour blocks you can reasonably set aside for your webcam jobs.
- Schedule your broadcast time for around the same 2 hours every camming day. This way customers looking to make a return visit will know where and when to find you.
- Exercise several times a week. The energy demands of balancing webcam jobs and other elements of your life can leave you feeling very drained. While it may seem like a conflicting idea, your doctor will confirm that regular cardio that increases your heart rate will help you maintain your energy level throughout the day and give you more stamina.
- Make sure your schedule allows for 6-8 hours of sleep. Lack of sleep is detrimental to your health. Not only that, but long hours and lack of sleep will negatively affect your job and your camming performance, making it increasingly difficult for you to maintain both.
- Be as disciplined as possible in maintaining your schedule. Life events that cut into your camming time are understandable. And, of course, a healthy life requires leisure time as well as work. But if your life feels out of balance due to the demands you place on yourself, consider cutting back on camming by a couple of hours a week. Camming should be as enjoyable as possible. And maintaining a positive attitude is difficult if you find yourself dreading your broadcast time.
- Consider Outsourcing for certain aspects of your career. Being a cam model is not just the time you spend on camera. It also requires the ability to self-promote on the internet and social media. If you have trouble finding the time to increase your exposure, consider hiring a freelancer to help you edit promotional video clips or optimize your personal website for SEO. This will allow you to dedicate as much of your camming-career energy to your performances and customers.
For the Full-time model:
- While you have more free hours to webcam on a daily and weekly basis, you should still schedule your time. Make sure the time you’ve scheduled is for webcam jobs alone, and make these time slots as regular as possible so your viewers will know when they can enter your room.
- No one is looking over your shoulder, so you must exercise your self-discipline. If you’re prone to distraction, try unplugging your television, disconnecting your video game system, or putting your mobile phone in another room during camming hours. This will keep you focused on the job at hand.
- Keep track of your peek performance hours. The more you cam, the more you’ll note that certain times of the day are more lucrative than others. When life interferes with camming, try and have these time slots set in stone, and enter your chat room at these times well-rested and with your best energy available for your performance.
- Set goals for yourself. Successful cam models can do well financially, but sometimes it’s hard for even the best to maintain focus if they’re not sure what they’re working for. Set short and long-term goals for yourself. Save for a pricey home improvement, a vacation, or a new car. With these goals in mind, many performers find themselves more invested in their broadcasts.
Practice and Prosper
Effective time management is a skill you can learn through practice. Sometimes new, positive habits are hard to maintain. Be dedicated, but don’t be inflexible. If something in your schedule is making your life more difficult to maintain, move it. Use trial and error to find what works best for you as you embark upon your cam-modeling career. Make your time online a great experience and you’ll be a top model in no time.
We’ve seen it many times: a beautiful cam model outperformed by a cam model who might not be as gorgeous, but who knows how to use their personality to attract customers.
Remember this adage: Your physical look is what attracts customers. Your personality is what keeps them coming back.
The ability to form strong connections with customers is what sets middling cam models apart from highly successful ones. So how do you use your personality to turn a new customer into someone who will be with you for years to come?
Here are some strategies that you can put into play immediately. Consider these as tools to help you “tune up” your webcam performance. Ready?
TOOLS FOR DEVELOPING PERSONALITY
- Ask the Right Questions: When you go out with someone for the very first time, and all they do is talk about themselves, are you likely to ask for a second date? Probably not. Well, the same principal applies for your first-time customers. Asking questions shows customers that you’re interested in them as people. It also reveals valuable information you can implement to turn up the heat on their private show experience.
- Follow-up Questions: You’re not just trying to make a customer think you’re interested, you’re also trying to seduce their mind, discuss their hobbies, tease them with your knowledge of their likes and dislikes, etc. Follow-up questions pave the way to real conversations, and conversation is the foundation of constructing strong relationships.
Use Your Unique Voice
- Be Vocal: Most customers who spend time with you will find talking (as opposed to typing your replies) in your open room much more enjoyable and worthwhile. This is even more important in private. Typing your responses is time consuming (in a time-based show type) and can be an obstacle when you’re trying to hone in on an intimate moment.
- Don’t Jump to the Juicy Parts: When a private begins, don’t immediately begin performing. Spend time learning, conversationally, what it is that they’re seeking. Ask them questions about their day (yes, more questions are good). Share something personal about yourself (it doesn’t have to be true), and let them know how excited you are to be with them. The more special they feel, the more comfortable their experience will be with you.
Positive Thinking is Everything
- Be Positive: Don’t underestimate the power of being positive. Customers will come to you seeking many things: companionship, intimacy, erotic fantasy and conversation. They’re looking for an escape from the stress of their real life day-to-day life. Smile. Elevate them to a more positive place. Be confident and welcoming. Your good attitude lets customers know they’ve come to the right place — a place that’s better than the reality they are used to. You will become their positive fantasy.
- Notes are Your Friend: Learn to take notes on specific customers while they’re in your chat room. Use these notes to double-down on the particulars of a certain user. He or she will thank you. Remembering the fine details of any interaction is a smart way to show customers you value them for who they are. Customers want to be seen as being special in your eyes. It makes them feel as if your shared experience was as positive for you as it was for them. This level of dedication will distinguish you from the majority of the models they visit either on your site or a competitor’s site.
- Flirty Nicknames: Concocting a personalized flirty nickname for a customer is another tried-and-true way to make your interactions more intimate and memorable. Making them feel like they are the apple of your eye, even in a small way, will play a huge factor in converting them into return customers.
- Appreciate Generosity: Be ever grateful for every tip, large or small. Honestly, none of us know if a customer is wealthy or on a tight budget. The amount that they spend in your room could mean more to them than the amount itself (the monetary value) suggests. Let them know you appreciate their tip (even if it’s a small amount). Remember, you are making a difference in a person’s life You should trust that they are rewarding you with a value that is sufficient to what they can afford. Saying, “thank you” or shouting out their screen name when they tip is another way to make them feel more connected and special.
Not every model is a social dynamo. It’s natural to feel shy and intimidated in your early camming sessions. But remember, you are the star of your chatroom. These customers clicked on you, hoping you’re the right model for them. If you struggle with engaging your users, following these simple tips will help you establish longer and more lucrative connections with the customers who visit you.